Francois Camille Abello, a 65-year-old man who lured in and abused over 300 children, is now dead after ending his own life in his prison cell. Due to the severity of his crimes, he was facing the possibility of life imprisonment or death by firing squad. Neither of these outcomes was the case though, as Abello took matters into his own hands and sealed his fate before it could be sealed fairly.

Abello had been brought in on child molestation and rape charges only a month before his suicide. When he was captured, he was caught with 2 victims. As if that wasn’t enough already, police managed to find horrifying videos on Abello’s computer showing the abuse he committed against more than 300 children between the ages of ten and seventeen. While the videos on Abello’s computer do confirm over 300 hundred cases, police believe his damage was much more widespread and currently have no estimate for the true number of victims that could have been preyed upon by him. However, the videos were more than enough evidence to consider him guilty and because of it, he faced three possible outcomes; chemical castration, life imprisonment, or death by firing squad. Abello however, decided on a fourth outcome, the only one that robbed his victims and their families of the justice they deserve.

He was very calculated when he committed his crimes. He lured children in by offering them work as a model, this gave him the opportunity to be alone with his victims and this is when he would strike. He often offered the victims cash to sleep with him, citing Jakarta Police Chief Nana Sudjana who told reporters “the ones who agreed to have sex with him would get paid between 250,000 and one million rupiah ($17-70). Those who didn’t want to have sex were beaten, slapped, and kicked by the suspect” While doing this, he would often record his irredeemable actions, which eventually became the main evidence against him and what fast-tracked his sentencing and verdict. When he was finally arrested, the police paraded him around in an orange jumpsuit and handcuffs, celebrating the capture of a real-life boogeyman who had for too long plagued and victimized those around him. After only a month behind bars, Abello took his own life. However, he wasn’t found dead in his cell, only unresponsive. The authorities having no other choice than to try and save him rushed him to the nearest hospital. It didn’t look good for Abello right off the bat, he had a fractured neck that was cutting off his ability to receive oxygen to his brain and after three days of work on Abello, he was pronounced dead.