In a heartbreaking turn of events, Kerry Pugh, a loving mother of three and 48 years of age, succumbed to cervical cancer just two years after receiving an all-clear diagnosis from her doctors. The shocking revelation of medical oversight has left her family devastated and has raised serious questions about the healthcare system’s ability to detect this deadly disease in its early stages.

The story begins in 2017 when Kerry first started experiencing worrisome symptoms, including abnormal bleeding. Concerned and determined to find answers, she sought medical attention at the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital in Cheltenham. However, despite her persistence and a battery of tests, the medical team was unable to identify the root cause of her discomfort.

Fast forward to June 2018, and Kerry’s health took a severe downturn. She was plagued by abdominal bloating and decided to undergo a comprehensive cervical cancer screening. Despite juggling the demands of her job and being a devoted mother, Kerry made it a priority to prioritize her health. Tragically, the initial medical assessment provided a false sense of security, assuring Kerry that all was well, despite ominous signs on her test results.

As the year progressed, Kerry’s condition deteriorated. Alarming symptoms, including abnormal bleeding and excruciating lower back pain, persisted. Eventually, further examinations revealed the horrifying truth: Kerry was in the advanced stages of cervical cancer, with a tumor larger than a tennis ball.

The magnitude of the tumor left doctors with no choice but to opt for alternative treatment options, including radiotherapy and chemotherapy. Kerry fought valiantly, but the cancer had already reached an advanced stage. Regrettably, she lost her battle with the disease in June 2022, at the age of 48, leaving her family shattered.

In the wake of Kerry’s tragic passing, the hospital reexamined her case, uncovering a grave error in her initial diagnosis. It was a devastating revelation for her husband, Stephen Pugh, who was determined to understand if the cancer could have been detected earlier. Stephen, a computer professional, also felt a responsibility to raise awareness about the signs of cervical cancer in women, urging them to seek early diagnosis.

Describing Kerry as his everything, Stephen reminisced about her unwavering strength throughout her ordeal and the immense void her absence has left in their lives. Kerry had always been proactive about her health, diligently attending her checkups and even undergoing preventive treatments. Yet, in June 2018, her faith in the healthcare system was shattered when her test results failed to reveal the grave issue lurking within.

Even when her condition worsened in November, Kerry sought medical help once more, only to be met with inconclusive results. Stephen’s legal counsel, Eleanor Giblin, expressed their relentless pursuit of answers and their collaboration with medical experts to unearth the truth. She stressed the vital importance of regular checkups, emphasizing that early detection can be a lifesaver.

Dr. John Jones from the hospital extended his support to Kerry’s family and vowed to provide answers regarding the unfortunate chain of events.

Kerry’s tragic story serves as a poignant reminder that vigilance in seeking medical care and regular screenings can be a matter of life and death. Her family’s pursuit of justice and their dedication to raising awareness about cervical cancer will hopefully prevent others from enduring a similar heart-wrenching journey.