A shooting occurred at an Indiana shopping mall on Sunday. The gunman, armed with a rifle and multiple magazines, killed three people and injured two others. Fortunately, a 22-year-old who was also armed with a handgun took down the shooter. Two people were injured, one of whom was a twelve-year-old girl who received a minor scratch on her back. Both injured individuals are in stable condition.

Three people were killed in a recent shooting at the Greenwood Park Mall, which is about ten miles south of downtown Indianapolis. The victims were mostly women, except for one. They were in their twenties and thirties, suggesting that the shooter might have targeted women. The shooter was stopped mid-attack.

Greenwood Police Chief James Ison reported that a shooter had come prepared to kill as many people as possible in a public shopping mall. The shooter was armed with a high-powered rifle and multiple magazines of ammunition. Fortunately, a “Good Samaritan” intervened and shot the shooter before they could harm any more people.

The identity of the gunman is still unknown. However, a person from Bartholomew County, Indiana, who was carrying a firearm, intervened and prevented the shooter from causing further casualties with his rifle.

“The real hero of the day is the citizen that was lawfully carrying a firearm in that food court and was able to stop the shooter almost as soon as he began,” Police Chief Ison stated.

The Greenwood Park Mall shooting is currently under investigation by authorities. The perpetrator has been described as a male adult and his reason for carrying out the shooting is still unknown. Police have determined that the shooter acted alone and was apparently planning to harm a large number of individuals.

According to a witness named James Arthur who spoke to the Indianapolis Star, he was able to distinguish that the shooter was using a powerful firearm when he heard the gunshots. Arthur estimated that he heard around twenty gunshots before the 22-year-old with a firearm was able to stop the shooter.

Abigail, a witness who is employed at the mall, shared with WRTV her viewpoint on the incident.

“I was standing at the gate, ready to close for the day. I heard 30 gunshots, and I just saw people running towards the store. I was just letting in as many people as I could before I shut the gate.”

She continued, “I wanted to close the gate, but people kept running at me… I have three kids at home, and I just wanted to get home.”