The first to report on former President Bill Clinton’s meeting with Attorney General Loretta Lynch aboard a private jet in 2016 was Christopher Sign. Now, he has been found dead in his home in Birmingham. He apparently took his own life. When officers arrived at the scene, they discovered a badly injured Sign. They were initially called to the location when they received an emergency 911 call from a person who claimed that something had happened to Sign.

When authorities arrived at Sign’s home, they discovered his body inside his Hoover, Alabama house. Given the details on the scene within his home, officials are investigating his death as a suicide. A neighbor had dialed 911 for an emergency.

Sign was found lifeless at his Alabama home when first responders arrived. When emergency personnel arrived to assist, he was already deceased. People are now mourning the loss of WBMA-LD sports reporter Sign, who had previously played football for the University of Alabama.

When he broke the news of Clinton’s secret meeting with Lynch in 2016, Sign became a household name. The two were said to have met on the tarmac at Phoenix Airport, where Lynch was aboard a private jet. According to Sign’s account, the pair talked about the ongoing inquiry into former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s use of a personal email system while she worked for the government.

Instead, Clinton and Lynch presented their conversation as a friendly chat between colleagues. They did not concede to having discussed the difficulty with Hillary’s emails or the FBI’s continuing inquiry into her use of a private server, nor were they subjected to a political hunt by Republicans.

The FBI has since acknowledged that they had nothing on Clinton prior to the 2016 election and announced as such weeks before. However, when agents gained access to Anthony Weiner’s laptop, which contained more Clinton emails, the investigation was reopened. After it was revealed he was texting naked photos to a young woman, former representative Anthony Weiner lost his wife, who had worked as an aide to Secretary of State Clinton during Obama’s first term.

In October 2016, James Comey, the then-FBI director, reopened the Hillary Clinton case. Two days before the election, he stated that the investigation had come to a conclusion and would be closed again. Experts feel that Comey’s statement may have harmed Clinton’s chances in the 2016 election by interfering with it.

The death of Sign has shocked the Alabama community.

“Our deepest sympathy is shared with Chris’s loving family and close friends,” said Sinclair Broadcast Group Vice President and General Manager Eric S. Land, according to Daily Mail. “We have lost a revered colleague whose indelible imprint will serve forever as a hallmark of decency, honesty, and journalist integrity. We can only hope to carry on Chris’s legacy. May his memory be for blessing.”

Since 2017, Sign has worked as a news anchor at ABC 33/40 in Birmingham.