These days, gender reveal parties are all the rage. Parents have a variety of techniques for announcing their baby’s sex to family and friends. This party always includes party poppers, smoke bombs, cake cutting, and other activities! What could possibly go wrong at this joyful and thrilling event?

A grandma died instantly after an explosion at a gender reveal party in Iowa, crushing one family’s joy.

Palmer Kreimeyer, a 56-year-old woman from New York, was killed when flying debris, specifically a piece of metal, from an explosives device that was supposed to produce either pink or blue smoke struck her on the head. She is the impending grandmother but because of their ‘homemade pipebomb’ into a terrible tragedy, they employed it for this gender reveal.

Marion County Sheriff Department stated: “Our investigation showed that members of the Kreimeyer family were experimenting with different types of explosive material on Friday and Saturday in an attempt to record a gender reveal that could be posted on social media for friends and family.”

The family built their own stand out of metal and welded it to a foundation. The revealing gadget was packed with gunpowder, which was intended to set off the explosion. It was expected to shoot out blue or pink smoke.

Palmer was standing about 14 meters (45 feet) away from the gender reveal gadget when it went off. According to the police, the grandmother was killed instantly and died at the scene, according to CNN. She was struck by a piece of metal debris with such force that it did not cease there. It soared more than 400 feet before slamming into the field.

But the police stated that the family had been developing various types of home-made gadgets to utilize. They were pursuing the goal of creating the “ideal” reveal. Something totally new and different from what their family and friends have ever seen before. They want to film and distribute the entire event on social media so that people all over can see it. Their efforts, however, went a bit too far.

The Marion County Sheriff’s Office said, “On Saturday afternoon five family members and the expectant mother gathered and placed gunpowder in the bottom of a homemade stand that was welded to a metal base plate.”

The statement says: “A hole had been drilled in the side for a fuse, a piece of wood was placed on top of the gunpowder and colored powder was placed on top of the board. The tape was then wrapped over the top of the metal tubing, inadvertently creating a pipe bomb. Instead of the gunpowder shooting the powder out the top of the stand, the stand exploded sending metal pieces flying.”

When the bomb exploded, everyone was shocked. They didn’t anticipate that this would result in the death of their grandparent. There were additional family members who were located near the Palmer throughout the unveiling, but she was the only one hit by debris.

Because of this horrible occurrence, the authorities are encouraging individuals to exercise extreme caution when handling any kind of explosive device. In fact, it is better to avoid developing any homemade gadgets. Why not go for confetti as a last resort? Alternatively, what about something less harmful?

To ensure that everyone is safe and away from harm, use this method.