In a heart-wrenching incident that has sent shockwaves through the community, a 48-year-old Victorian woman has tragically passed away, sparking claims that her severe symptoms were overlooked by a local hospital. Carolyn Stanton, a beloved mother and grandmother known for her infectious laugh, succumbed to her illness amidst a cloud of uncertainty and frustration.
The ordeal began when Carolyn sought medical attention at the Latrobe Regional Hospital due to troubling symptoms that included numbness on one side of her body, blurry vision, vomiting, and an excruciating headache. Astonishingly, despite these serious indicators, she was twice turned away from the hospital, with only a recommendation for over-the-counter pain relief. It’s a harrowing story that highlights the importance of timely and accurate medical assessments.
The Department of Health conveyed their sympathies to Carolyn’s grieving family while refraining from further comment at this juncture, out of respect for their privacy. Similarly, the Latrobe Regional Hospital expressed their shared sentiment and assured that their investigation into the matter is ongoing. This tragic incident has left the family grappling with emotions of anger, sadness, and helplessness.
The heart-rending story unfolds with a sequence of unfortunate events. Following her initial hospital visit, a routine CAT scan revealed a brain lesion in Carolyn’s right frontal lobe, prompting her admission for further observation. However, she was discharged the following day with Panadol for pain relief and an instruction to arrange an appointment with her general practitioner for an MRI. This premature release occurred despite her family’s insistence that she was still in considerable pain.
Carolyn’s daughter, Stephanie Haysom, shared her mother’s trust in the medical system. But as Carolyn’s condition deteriorated, doubts began to creep in. It wasn’t long before she found herself back in the hospital after a fall in the shower, caused by sudden numbness in her legs. Her family believed these symptoms signaled a stroke, but the suggestion of an additional CAT scan was met with concerns about excessive radiation.
As her condition worsened, Carolyn’s family was left incredulous by the medical decisions being made. Their frustration grew as they grappled with the belief that timely intervention could have averted the worst. Days later, Carolyn suffered a seizure, prompting her daughter to administer CPR while seeking emergency assistance. Despite the frantic efforts, Carolyn’s health continued to spiral downwards.
Ultimately, a delayed MRI revealed a grim reality: the initial brain lesion had been a result of a stroke, and subsequent scans indicated multiple prior strokes. The discovery of a blocked artery shed light on the underlying cause, yet by this point, it was too late. Carolyn’s brain was swelling, and her condition became dire. The family had no choice but to make the heart-wrenching decision to remove her from life support on August 6.
The loss of Carolyn Stanton leaves a void that can never be filled for her family. They find themselves grappling with a range of emotions, from anger and sadness to an overwhelming sense of helplessness. They yearn for answers and accountability in a situation that has left them stunned and devastated.
As the community mourns the loss of Carolyn Stanton, questions linger about the adequacy of medical oversight that could have altered the course of events. This incident serves as a poignant reminder of the need for comprehensive and timely medical assessments, and the significance of family concerns being earnestly addressed by healthcare providers.
In this time of sorrow, the Stanton family’s poignant words resonate with the weight of their grief: “Her passing has left a void that can never be filled in our lives… we are incredibly sad that we will never see her or talk to her again, guilty that we could not get her better help and very, very angry that she did not receive the help that she so desperately needed and tried to get.”