Former news anchor Frank Somerville found himself at the center of yet another scandal when he was arrested not once, but twice, in a single night in Berkeley, California. The 65-year-old Somerville, who had previously been associated with the Bay Area as a journalist, was taken into custody on charges of criminal threats, battery, public intoxication, and probation violation.

The first arrest occurred shortly after 6:30 p.m. on Monday when an altercation broke out between Somerville and his younger brother over ongoing family issues involving their elderly father. Allegedly, Somerville threatened his father at his home, arriving in a drunken and angry state and refusing to leave. The altercation escalated, resulting in his brother Mark sustaining facial injuries.

Berkeley police confirmed that Somerville was placed under arrest, and he was subsequently booked into Berkeley Jail. A bond of $32,500 was posted, allowing him to be released at 2:20 a.m. the following day.

However, the night did not end there for Somerville. After being released, he returned to his father’s house to retrieve his car. Shortly after leaving, he realized that he had lost his phone, prompting him to go back to the house in search of it. As he desperately tried to locate his missing device, he repeatedly rang the doorbell, drawing the attention of the residents and leading to another police intervention.

At around 4:20 a.m., authorities were called once again and found Somerville sitting in his car, clearly intoxicated. He exhibited signs and symptoms of public intoxication and was witnessed driving under the influence of alcohol. Consequently, he was arrested for DUI and probation violation and was taken to Santa Rita Jail in Dublin, where he was held on $15,000 bail.

This latest incident adds to Somerville’s troubled history, which includes a previous DUI arrest in December 2021. In that case, he confessed to driving under the influence after crashing his Porsche into another vehicle. Prior to that, he had faced consequences for slurred speech during a live newscast and subsequently sought treatment for alcohol abuse.

Somerville’s career in news took a downward trajectory following these incidents, leading to his departure from KTVU amid disagreements with the station regarding coverage of the Gabby Petito case. Despite his troubled past, Somerville expressed his love for anchoring and had hoped to return to TV news after completing a DUI program.

The recent arrests have once again put the spotlight on Somerville’s personal struggles and raise questions about his ability to overcome his ongoing battles with alcohol and maintain a stable life. As he faces legal consequences and the repercussions of his actions, Somerville’s future remains uncertain.