When it comes to British chicken that is sold, at least two-thirds has been found to contain an E. coli superbug.
This number is much higher than experts first thought when they started an investigation as to the safety of chicken sold in stores to consumers.
It has been slated as a serious threat to the health of those who have purchased the chicken, and most products have been taken off of store shelves.
About 78 percent of the chicken sold in stores in England is thought to be contaminated. At least 50 percent of chicken in Scotland is affected. The bug causes an upset stomach, severe stomach pains for many people and has even resulted in the deaths of those who can’t ward off the bug.
When examined, experts found that the strain in the chicken is not the one that is usually found in hamburgers and that is responsible for food poisoning. It is antibiotic-resistant and can stay in the stomach for several years.
The bug is thought to have developed because so many animals that are on farms are raised on foods that are resistant to antibiotics.
Those who are involved in the poultry business have pledged to stop this form of raising the animals, and there is a ban on using certain products with chickens so that they are as healthy as possible for consumers.